Karen Craigen Memorial Award in Mathematics Education
The family and friends of Karen Craigen (1957 – 2010) have established an endowment in her memory at the University of Manitoba, to establish the Karen Craigen Memorial Scholarship for students who declare their intention intend to teach classroom mathematics in grades K – 12, and whose mathematical education significantly exceeds the minimum requirements of a mathematics concentration in the Bachelor of Education program.
Karen's career teaching math exemplified a love of the subject as well as a devotion to her students. Karen received a 5 year degree in education with Major in Math, attaining the equivalent of 3 years of an honours BSc in Math. She believed in the value of a strong mathematical background for those who teach math.
The purpose of the scholarship is to offer incentive to students to go beyond the basic standard of preparation for a career in mathematics education and to encourage and reward students who have demonstrated this initiative. Each year one scholarship will be awarded to a student who:
- is currently enrolled in any of the following:
- full-time in the Faculty of Graduate Studies in a Master’s program offered by the Department of Mathematics in the Faculty of Science;
- full-time (minimum 80% course load) as an undergraduate student in the Faculty of Science at the University of Manitoba;
- full-time (minimum 80% course load) as an undergraduate student in the Faculty of Arts at the University of Manitoba;
- full-time (minimum 80% course load) as an undergraduate student in the Faculty of Education;
- has completed three years of an undergraduate honours or major degree in Mathematics (or equivalent);
- has achieved a minimum grade point average of 3.5 (or equivalent) in the previous 60 credit hours of study, in which 42 credit hours must be in Mathematics courses taken from the Faculty of Science;
- has expressed the intention to teach classroom mathematics.
Interested candidates should submit a letter stating their intention to teach classroom mathematics and why they would like pursue a career in mathematics education (maximum 250 words), along with a copy of their transcript(s) by the end of September for consideration in the current year.
Donations to the fund are tax-deductible. Gifts may be made in the form of a cheque payable to University of Manitoba, and mailed to: