If you are accepted into one of our programs, you will have to pay for your normal living expenses and the additional costs of the program.
Full-time Master's Programs
International students who have a GPA above 3.5/4.5 receive an entrance scholarship IGSES. Their tuition is the same as that for Canadian students.
For such PhD students, the tuition fee is approximately \$4,500 for the first two years
and \$750 on subsequent years. For international MSc students satisfying the above GPA
requirement, the tuition fee is approximately \$4,500 for the first year and \$750 on
subsequent years. The total tuition fee in the program for such students is
most other major Canadian universities.
Other required fees include student organization fees and health insurance costs. There is a reciprocity agreement between Manitoba and Minnesota where Minnesota residents pay the same fees as Canadian Citizens. Go
for the application form.
Starting in Fall 2017, levels of support are \$19,000 and \$21,000 (CDN) for thesis-based MSc and PhD students, respectively, in the form of direct aid and tutorial/or marking employment. Typically, students make
significantly more than the minimum.
Students in the course-based MSc program can receive up to \$5,000 per year as teaching assistants or markers. Applications for aid cannot be processed until after you have been admitted to one of our graduate programs. If you are admitted, we automatically send the materials required to apply for financial aid. See here
for funding comparisons with other universities.
University of Manitoba Graduate Fellowship (UMGF)
- NSERC (General Link)
- Alexander Graham Bell Canada Graduate Scholarship and NSERC Postgraduate Scholarships - Faculty of Grad Studies Deadline: TBA
- There is a guaranteed annual top-up of \$5000 for students holding an NSERC CGS M or PGS D scholarship. Moreover, funding levels for all NSERC supported students will be maintained until the end of the second year of study for MSc students and the end of the fourth year of study for PhD students, even if the term of the NSERC scholarship is over. See below for details. Continuation of funding is subject to satisfactory academic performance.
- MSc students with CGS M (\$17,500 for one year) in the first year of MSc will receive a top-up of \$5000 and the same level of funding (\$22,500) in the second year.
- MSc students with CGS M in the second year of MSc will receive a top-up of \$5000.
- PhD students with PGS D (\$21,000 for 2 or 3 years) will receive a top-up of \$5000 per year for the duration of the PGS D award and the same level of funding up to, and including, the fourth year of the PhD program.
- PhD students with CGS D (\$35,000 for 2 or 3 years) are guaranteed the same level of funding up to, and including, the fourth year of the PhD program.
Graduate Student Conference Support
- International Graduate Student Entrance Scholarship (IGSES). International students entering their ﬁrst year of full-time graduate studies in pursuit of a Master’s, PhD or Graduate Diploma may be eligible for this scholarship. More information.
- International Graduate Student Scholarhsip (IGSS). This scholarship provides funding in subsequent years when full tuition fee is required. Deadline for applications is March 1 of each year. More information.